Student Organization Travel

As DePaul navigates Chicago’s Bridge Phase and begins to return to normal campus operations, student organization travel may resume on a more normal basis. During this transitory period, student organizations will be expected to follow the below procedures and guidelines:

  1. Student organizations looking to travel are required to complete the Student Organization Pre-Travel Ininerary Form located here. This form must be submitted at least seven (7) days prior to the first date of travel for the event. The officer or individual who fills out the form will receive confirmation once the travel is approved. If your organization does not submit this form in time, your organization or the individual applying may not travel. If your organization travels without approval, your organization risks sanctions such as not being eligible for funding, suspension, or discontinuation of all organization activities.
  2. Student organization members are reminded that the City of Chicago Emergency Travel Order is still in place and that is updated Tuesdays. Please follow recommendations for travel for states and territories as outlined in the site here.

University Vehicle, Driver, and Travel Safety Policy

See the University Vehicle, Driver and Travel Safety Policy for specific requirements and considerations. DePaul University does not accept responsibility for, nor does insurance coverage extend to, any travel program not authorized by the University. The use of the name DePaul University in connection with anything other than an authorized travel program is strictly prohibited. This policy explains the responsibilities and requirements related to vehicles owned, rented or leased by the University; explains the responsibilities and qualifications for drivers of vehicles owned, rented or leased by the University and drivers who are driving their personal vehicles for university business and events; and explains the responsibilities and requirements for sponsoring travel for university business and events. DePaul University does not have DePaul owned vehicles for student organizations to lease or rent. All vehicles used for travel must either be rented from an outside vendor or be your personal vehicle. Please visit the following website to view car rental vendors that offer DePaul DemonDiscounts.

Driver Qualifications

All drivers who will be driving students in personal vehicles for university business must meet the following qualifications:

1. Have a valid state issued driver’s license.

2. Have no more than two at-fault accidents/violations within the last three years.

3. Have no DUI or DWI convictions within the last five years.

4. Be at least 21 years old.

Drivers who are 18-20 years old may, under certain circumstances and subject to discretion of the Office of Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety, be allowed to drive for local travel.

Driver Certification

Additionally, all drivers who will be driving university vehicles or who will be driving students in personal vehicles for university business must participate in a driver certification process maintained by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety. The driver certification process is initiated by filling out a “Motor Vehicle Form” available on the Environmental Health and Safety website.

Travel Waiver

Travel waivers allow the University to communicate the responsibilities, rights, and risks associated with certain student travel. Registration with Global Engagement allows the University to accurately keep track of certain student travel in a centralized manner. Registration also helps to improve the safety of those traveling by allowing the University to quickly communicate with students in case of an emergency. Additionally, registration allows the University to track over time the number of students who participate in different activities. Non-local travel is travel outside the Chicagoland area (Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will counties) whether traveling in a university vehicle, a personal vehicle used for university business, or other transportation provided by or arranged by the University (e.g. a chartered or rented vehicle, or public transportation) for university business.

International Travel

For international travel, registration gives Global Engagement (GE) an opportunity to proactively share health and safety information (including emergency procedures) and other resources; and to facilitate the purchase of health insurance, which will be charged to students to DePaul Student Accounts. All student organizations seeking to travel overseas must have a DePaul Support Verification Form signed by the Vice President for Student Affairs to receive proper authorization for their travel. Once the Support Verification Form has been signed, students must submit the form to the International Programs Office via email to or hand delivered to the International Programs Suite 9300, 9th Floor, DePaul Center (Loop Campus).

More details regarding Student Organization Travel can be found in the Student Organization Handbook.